Soy sauce has become an indispensable part of flavoring ingredients that we use almost every day in the kitchen. However, Japanese cuisine has several flavoring sauces, one of which is the sauce for which we bring you the recipe today. Prepare homemade teriyaki sauce; it’s very easy.
It is said that Japanese cuisine is among the healthiest and best. And indeed, this claim is true. The basis of this cuisine consists of healthy ingredients such as seafood, fresh vegetables, mushrooms, sauces, and other seasonings, and of course, lots of rice. The Japanese place great emphasis on what they consume; therefore, freshness and quality of food are paramount. The Japanese also adhere to traditions, according to which the food on the table must look aesthetic.
You can also try: Hoisin sauce recipe
What You Didn’t Know About Japanese Cuisine
- Not all chopsticks are the same. The Japanese only eat with chopsticks called “hashi”. Unlike Chinese chopsticks, they are shorter and much thinner.
- Traditional Japanese dishes include sushi and sukiyaki beef dishes.
- Fugu, or pufferfish, is a popular fish in Japan, but if prepared incorrectly, it can be deadly. Therefore, only those with a license can prepare it.
- The Japanese distinguish five tastes – salty, sweet, bitter, sour, and umami.
- Tuna is the most popular fish in Japan; its meat is often auctioned, reaching astronomical sums.
- Kobe beef steak is renowned worldwide, but you can only taste it in Japan, as it is strictly forbidden to export this meat from Japan.
Difference Between Soy Sauce and Teriyaki Sauce
Although teriyaki sauce, with its dark color, resembles soy sauce, its consistency and taste are completely different. Soy sauce is salty and liquid, while teriyaki sauce is sweet and thick.
What is Teriyaki Sauce and Its Composition
It is a Japanese sauce (teriyaki) primarily made from fermented soybeans and roasted wheat. It also contains Japanese wine, honey, sugar, garlic, and ginger. It is flavored with pineapple juice, mirin, or sake.
We also recommend: Vietnamese Pho Bo Soup recipe
Traditional Teriyaki Sauce – Japanese Recipe
Teriyaki sauce should not be missing in your kitchen, just like soy sauce. Its sweet taste gives the meat the right kick. The recipe contains ingredients with pronounced flavors, but the result is perfect.
Clean the onion (or 5 shallots) and chop finely.
Clean the garlic and press it, peel the ginger and grate it on the fine side of the grater.
Chop the chili pepper into very small pieces.
Mix all ingredients except cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water together and mix thoroughly.
Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, mix the starch in a small bowl with 3 tablespoons of water.
Pour the starch into the boiling mixture and stir.
The starch will thicken the sauce in a moment; you can turn off the stove.
Use of Teriyaki Sauce in the Kitchen
The use of teriyaki sauce comes from its name. "Teri" represents something shiny, and "yaki" in Japanese means grilling. This sauce is mainly used for marinating meat; during baking or grilling, the meat is basted with the sauce. For example, salmon with this sauce or grilled chicken with teriyaki sauce is excellent.
If you are wondering where to buy teriyaki sauce, you will surely succeed in every Asian grocery store. And if not, online stores focused on Asian ingredients will not disappoint.