Carrots are one of the most high-calorie vegetables, and nuts also contain a large amount of fat. This cake contains a lot of sugar, white flour and oil. For that reason, it is not such a healthy dessert. However, if you indulge in it in moderation, you don’t have to worry about your slim line.
In addition, you can easily replace the ingredients with slightly healthier ones and create a fitness carrot cake with cottage cheese. A healthy carrot cake made from spelled flour is also a great choice if you care about your diet. The magic of this delicious cake will absorb you so much that you will completely forget about the amount of calories.
The history of carrot cake
Allegedly, the history of this carrot cake goes back to 1827, when a French cookbook was published in England, the author of which was Antoine Beauvilliers. It was this one that contained the first recipe for the so-called carrot cake. However, if you want to trace the history of this carrot dessert even further back in time, it probably has its origins in medieval carrot puddings.
The origin of carrot pudding comes from the Arabs. They started growing carrots in a targeted manner. Probably because it was difficult to get sugar, they used carrots as a sweetener due to their high sugar content. Subsequently, carrot pudding spread throughout the world, especially in England where it became a popular delicacy.
In the middle of 1920s, the luxurious carrot cake made its way to America. It became an important dessert. After the Second World War, there was a large surplus of canned carrots, so the American philanthropist George C. Page hired a baker to process them into a product that could be sold. And so the carrot cake was born. In later years, the carrot cake gained popularity, thanks to the fact that it was labeled as a healthy carrot cake.
If you have ever had a tasty carrot cake, you can remember its distinct taste. And in addition, carrot cake is also great for children. It is a combination of a pliable body, crunchy nuts, fresh carrots and cinnamon, sometimes with the addition of cream cheese. Whet your appetite with carrot cake or prepare it for your loved ones as a birthday cake.
Carrot Cake – Tasty and healthy recipe
At the moment, you can mainly meet the juicy carrot cake in the form with a cheese cap on top. Grandma's original carrot cake was without cream. This inseparable pair did not come into being until the 1960s. One of the reasons was the popularity of cheesecakes. Philadelphia cream cheese also became very popular. It was at that time that the traditional duo of carrot cake with cream cheese was created.
We have also prepared an alternative for you in the form of carrot cakes with mascarpone cream on top. So you can choose what you like better.
This simple carrot cake has a long history and has evolved into a perfect dessert. The combination of individual ingredients brings a melting delicacy. It is for this reason that you should also try its preparation, you will surely like it. Let's see how to prepare a recipe for carrot cake on a baking sheet.
Ingredients for cheese cream
Ingredients for mascarpone cream
Before you start, preheat the oven to 180°C.
Grease the mold with a little butter and sprinkle with coarse flour. Alternatively, line the bottom with baking paper.
Peel the carrots, grate them on a fine grater.
Sift the flour into a bowl and add the baking powder. Add granulated sugar, salt, a pinch or two of ground ginger and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
In another bowl, mix the milk, oil, melted butter and egg. If you can't have eggs for any reason, try its substitutes when baking, today we know many options to replace eggs.
Add the liquid ingredients to the dry mixture, mix lightly with a whisk. Add the raisins, chopped walnuts and stir in the grated carrots.
This dough requires only a short handling, the longer you work on it, the more it will damage it. For this reason, mix only briefly and intensively to create a smooth cast dough.
Pour the dough into the prepared form, place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes.
After removing from the oven, let it cool in the tin.
After cooling, you can sprinkle with powdered sugar. Alternatively, you can also make cream on top or in the sliced cake.
Preparation of cheese cream
Let the butter soften at room temperature to make it easier to work with.
Beat the soft butter with the cheese, finally add the icing sugar.
Finally, all you have to do is mix thoroughly and you can start spreading the cake.
Preparation of mascarpone cream
Let the butter soften at room temperature to make it easier to work with.
Beat the soft butter with the powdered sugar.
After mixing, continue mixing and gradually add mascarpone.
You can spread the whipped mascarpone cream on the carrot cake.
The most common mistakes when making carrot cake
Soft carrot cake is easy to prepare and it is a very rewarding dessert that no one despises. However, it is important to think about a few important principles when preparing it, so that it maintains a supple consistency and a great taste. What should you avoid in order for the carrot cake to turn out just the way you want it to?
- For the dough, it is important to first mix all the dry ingredients, then the liquid ones, and only then can you mix them together. This should happen in a flash, the dough must be in the oven quickly.
- The longer you mix the dough, the worse its consistency will be. By beating, you will only achieve such a heavy and dense dough. For this reason, all you have to do is quickly combine the ingredients and immediately pour them into the mold.
- Since baking powder is used in baking, it is necessary that all ingredients are at room temperature. Otherwise, the baking powder will not like it, and the dough will be flat and dense. Therefore, remember to take the ingredients out of the fridge well in advance, and also be careful when heating the milk so as not to overheat it.
- Allow enough time for the oven to heat up. If you put the cake in an insufficient temperature, it could seriously damage it.
- Grate the carrot really finely. It is not a good idea to try to make it easier on a coarse grater, because then the grated carrot would not have time to soften, and this would lead to a poor consistency of the cake.
- Always let the cake cool completely when you spread the cream on it. Otherwise, the butter could dissolve in the cream, creating an unpleasant result.
- The cake has a naturally denser consistency, so do not try to improve it by adding more baking powder, this could damage its taste.
How to decorate a carrot cake?
- The recipe for this dessert directly encourages innovation. For that reason, you can come across many different variations of this cake. So he can create a carrot cake with fruit, caramel, or add pineapple, orange juice and the like, but they cannot match the traditional recipe.
- If you have this dessert in Germany, it will probably be decorated with marzipan carrots. In contrast, in Britain, for example, they believe that the cream should be without any decorations. So you can get inspired.
- Carrot cake can be prepared in many different forms, for example as a sandwich or as a carrot cake on a baking sheet.
Carrot cake is also suitable for birthdays and is popular for its simplicity and dangerously good taste. You will definitely like the typically spicy taste with the addition of nuts in the pliable dough. Therefore, don't hesitate to prepare it, if you avoid the most common mistakes, you don't have to worry about the cake not being successful.