What is the difference between sauerkraut soup and cabbage soup?
Cabbage soup is made from fresh cabbage, unlike sauerkraut soup, which is made from sauerkraut.
Cabbage soup is popular in Central and Eastern Europe, in countries such as France, Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine, Russia and Poland.
Cabbage soup and its variations
There are countless versions of fresh cabbage soups. For example:
- white cabbage soup without paprika,
- soup with sausage and potatoes,
- cabbage soup with frankfurter.
You can prepare this soup the way you like it. However, if you are tired of the cabbage soup recipe you always make, then try one of the versions mentioned above and prepare cabbage soup in a new way.
Cabbage soup: Delicious recipe from fresh cabbage
Prepare the best cabbage soup at home. It is a bit more time consuming, but you can certainly do it.
Place the smoked ribs in a pot, cover with cold water and simmer over a low heat for a few hours.
Before the end of cooking, cut the onion, cabbage into thin noodles, potatoes into cubes and sausage into slices.
When you get a thick enough broth from the ribs, remove the ribs from the water and turn the meat into a bowl.
Put the cabbage with pepper and bay leaves into the hot broth and cook until semi-soft.
Then add the potatoes, sausage, crushed garlic, cumin and salt and let it cook.
In a frying pan, lightly fry the onion in the fat, add the flour and salt and stir to form a roux.
Let the finished roux cool for a while and stir in the paprika, pour in cold water, mix well and strain through a sieve into the soup.
Simmer briefly, add the meat from the ribs.
Serve the soup garnished with chopped chives or with a little sour cream and fresh bread.
You can serve the soup into a bowl in a cabbage leaf.
How to improve the cabbage soup
- Instead of sweet ground paprika , you can add ground smoked paprika to the soup.
- You can season the soup with a little tomato purée.
- You can prepare cabbage soup with cream, sour cream, yoghurt or milk.
- Towards the end of the cooking process, you can knock the egg into the soup with a fork.
- Diet cabbage soup can be prepared by omitting all fatty ingredients. Fry the onion in a little oil, add the peppers, cabbage and pour the broth. You can thicken the soup with coarsely grated potatoes. You can also add smoked tofu to replace the flavour of the sausage.
- You can also add vegetables you like to the soup according to your taste - for example leeks or root vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cabbage soup is made from fresh white cabbage.