Beetroot soups are more famous in Eastern countries, but with the right ingredients you will surely fall in love with them too. In addition, beetroot contains a lot of vitamins that the body needs.
Beetroot health benefits
As we have already mentioned, beetroot is a storehouse of nutrients. And when else does the body need vitamins than right now in autumn.
- Beetroot contains the dye betacyanin, which is one of the strongest antioxidants – it reduces the formation of tumors and strengthens immunity.
- Other effects of beetroot include supporting liver function, and thanks to a substance called betaine, hardening of the arteries is prevented. This substance also reduces the level of homocysteine, which negatively affects the activity of the heart and circulatory system.
- Beetroot should be consumed especially by pregnant women, as it contains folic acid, which eliminates birth defects of the fetus and supports the natural development of the brain.
- Beetroot is also very beneficial for weight loss. This is because it contains soluble fibre, the task of which is to slow down the emptying of the stomach, thus helping with proper digestion.
- Beetroot also contains iron, which helps the formation of red blood cells. It is also a kind of natural blood purifier, it gets rid of toxic substances.
- It is widely known that beetroot lowers blood pressure.
We also recommend: Asparagus Soup made from Green Asparagus
Beetroot Soup Recipe – Healthy and nutritious soup
First of all, peel the beetroot and cut it into small cubes. We recommend using gloves due to its color. Next, peel the potatoes and also cut them into small cubes.
Pour oil into the pot, let it heat up and add finely chopped onion and pressed garlic to it. Be careful not to burn the garlic, it will make the dish bitter. Saute for just two to three minutes.
Add the chopped beets and potatoes and fry them.
Finally, cover everything with vegetable broth and let it simmer for about half an hour.
While the vegetables are stewing, prepare the yogurt dip. Mix yogurt, horseradish, cumin and coriander in a bowl and mix all ingredients thoroughly.
Place the yogurt dip in the refrigerator to set.
Once the vegetables are soft, blend them until smooth and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Decorate the soup on the plate with a spoonful of yogurt dip with a basil or coriander leaf.
- If you like your soups more acidic, feel free to add a little vinegar to taste in this one. You will have a new treat right away!
- If you are a fan of creamy soups, nothing prevents you from adding cream to your beetroot soup. Both fermented and for cooking.
How to improve soup
The beetroot soup should be thicker in nature, but you won't spoil anything by preparing it a little thinner. In this case, we recommend serving the soup with fried croutons in herb butter or with toasted sunflower seeds.
Beetroot soup in combination with horseradish is an absolute delicacy, you can liven up the recipe for beetroot soup with, for example, horseradish dumplings. Again, beetroot soup for children should be mild, so in this case, be really careful with the horseradish - for a milder taste, leave out the horseradish and you can add carrots to the vegetables instead.
Beetroot soup easily turns into Russian borscht, in which cabbage and beef must not be missing. You can also use beets in the popular chocolate brownie, turning the calorie bomb into a healthier version. You can also try, for example, beef goulash with beetroot, risotto with beetroot or morning smoothies with beetroot, beetroot cake and many other dishes.